- 2 bedrooms sleeping up to 4
– ground floor double bedroom
– ground floor bunk bedroom
- bedrooms with views over garden & river
- accessible ground floor wet room adjacent to bedroom (enquire for specific requirements)
- living area with view of orchard and sliding door to veranda
- wood burning stove
- tv and internet broadband
- dining table seating six with views of river through corner window
- modern kitchen with electric oven & hob, microwave
- fridge & separate freezer
- washing machine
- iron & ironing board
- enclosed garden with patio area (fenced off from river bank)
- garden furniture & charcoal bbq
- orchard, organic vegetable garden, chickens and ducks
- river & wildlife – red squirrels, kingfisher etc.
- cot and highchair available on request
- sorry no pets & non smoking
- fully accessible for wheel chair users
Architect designed eco house built from innovative locally sourced timber frame and natural insulation materials, this cottage has featured in several magazines. Provides a healthy and relaxing get away from the stress or urban life. The river can be heard from the house and the setting is peaceful.
Suitable for a family of 4-5 with generous sitting & dining kitchen area with lots of natural light. Ample outside furniture to sit and eat on the deck in the garden. Level access to the house and shower is provided so is suitable for wheelchair user. Natural paints and cleaning products have been used and are available.
Two miles from Crossgar village with pubs, cafes and excellent wine shop. 10 minutes from Strangford Loch and not far from Mourne Mountains and beaches. Local golf course 2 miles away. Discount offered to anyone arriving on foot or by bicycle. Will arrange pick ups from Crossgar bus service.
Hemp & Lime
Hemp & Lime is a lightweight construction material that can be used for walls, insulation of roofs and floors and as part of timber-framed buildings. It also can provide very good thermal and acoustic performance, and offers a genuinely low-carbon contribution to sustainable construction. Hemp-based solid wall construction is breathable and is able to absorb and emit moisture, leading to much healthier buildings. The small dwelling currently under construction uses the technique of casting hemp & lime around a centre-wall timber stud frame, to form a monolithic construction (i.e. containing various materials but not separate layers). The hemp & lime casting-work was filmed during its construction in November 2008.
Enjoyed our stay immensely. Hemp Cottage has everything. Will definitely come again. Thanks for everything.
Great design and techniques in this building! A privilege to stay here!
Enjoyed our stay, very peaceful. The cottage is excellent, very comfortable – a perfect place to relax! Would happily recommend it to friends and family.
Had a wonderful week here, baby (aged 5 months) sleeping soundly in his cot and trying out the highchair for his first time! Thank you for an amazing stay!
We are all in love with Hemp Cottage. Everyday was truly beautiful. Thanks for all your ‘extras’ – the hen eggs, the fresh lettuce and all the logs.
Prices per week £ stg
£495: Easter/Christmas/New Year
£395: Rest of Year
£225: Weekend (3 nights)
£150 deposit secures booking with balance payable 4 weeks prior to arrival by cheque.
– check in 4pm, check out 10am or by prior arrangement
– rental dates flexible by arrangement in advance
– linen/towels supplied free of charge
– electricity included
– central heating included
What’s Not Included
By phone: Rachel Bevan or Tom Woolley
(028) 4483 0988 uk / +44 28 4483 0988 intl